I had a thought – which was, how fun would it be to motivate each other with weekly mini challenges? Each week for the next few months I will issue a mini challenge that will help us all build a solid foundation for our weight loss, health and wellness goals.
The goal this week is to get your water in…
How much water do YOU drink a day? The goal is ½ your body weight –Yikes! That could seem like a lot if right now your water consumption is zero.
To get started take it slow – 8 oz in the morning and 8 in the afternoon – then move up to 16, etc. before you know it you will be where you need to be. If you are 160 lb woman your goal is 80 oz a day or ten 8 oz cups a day – no problem right? The trick is to keep a water bottle with you at all times – you’ll end up sipping on it all day and before you know it whola!
Here is why water is so important for you:
- It increases your metabolism – or the metabolism of fat… Did you know the liver converts stored fat to energy? This is one of its main functions. Another important function is to help the kidneys out when they are stressed due to dehydration – the kidneys need plenty of water to work properly. If the kidneys are water-deprived, the liver has to do their work along with its own, lowering its productivity. Bottom line – by not drinking enough water you’re setting yourself up to store fat! Yikes!
- Boosts your energy – Because our bodies are made up of 60% water, dehydration causes all of our systems to slow down making us feel sluggish and tired. By staying hydrated you allow all of you systems to work at their optimal speed increasing your energy level – plus in this state we burn more calories!
- Plumps your skin which makes you look younger! Water is the best beauty treatment. Water flushes out impurities in your skin, leaving you with a clear, glowing complexion. It also makes your skin look younger. Skin that is becoming saggy, either due to aging or weight loss, plumps up when your cells are hydrated- so drink up!
- Suppresses your appetite – yes if your full of water you won’t feel as hungry – this is a fact, but what I find even more interesting is that a lot of time when we think we’re hungry, we are really thirsty. This is when people tend to snack. To test whether you are hungry or thirsty drink a glass of water… If you’re still hungry have at it.
- And lastly the release of water retention – That’s right, the more you drink the less you store…When we don’t drink enough water our body will hold onto every drop. We need water to survive – so not enough water kicks our body into “survival mode”. The more water you consume, the more water your body will let go of. Flushing out the water it was storing in your body – perhaps around your ankles, hips, thighs and maybe even around your belly. And yes, you may be in the bathroom every 5 minutes but there will come a point where your body will adjust and normalize – promise.
Good luck everyone – and I’d love to hear of any struggles or successes you are having with this challenge!
Hugs and Health –